This group is committed to NuTech's mission to be the premier provider of reservoir valuation, characterization and analytics to the Oil & Gas industry.
The pioneers of reservoir intelligence, today they form a multidisciplined team of professionals who have analyzed both core and logs of nearly every prospective and producing basin in the world. These individuals have modeled the most prolific American unconventional reservoirs from a 3D geological model to optimized fracture treatments to field development plans.
Jorge Viamontes, Ph.D.
Executive Vice President, Chief Operating Officer
Dr. Jorge Viamontes joined NuTech in 2014 to create the NUVISION reservoir engineering department. He was in addition a principal contributor to the creation and expansion of the Reservoir Intelligence consulting business.
Which allowed NuTech to enhance the spectrum of its integrated reservoir characterization and engineering services.
Dr. Viamontes has recently taken up the position of EVP, Chief Operating Officer with responsibility for the operational performance of NuTech.
Dr. Viamontes brings a solid technical foundation that has been created through extensive experience working in assets throughout the world. His career has principally concentrated on the development and optimization of oil and gas reservoirs at every stage of the field life.
Dr. Viamontes graduated in 2000 from the University of Rochester with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Physics and Mathematics. Thereafter, in 2001 he earned a Master of Science degree in Physics at Indiana University. Lastly, in 2005 he earned a Ph.D. in Experimental Physics at Brown University.
Prior to joining NuTech Dr. Viamontes held the following positions:
- Lead Reservoir Engineer and Deputy Project Manager in PEMEX’s Cantarell Complex for the consulting firm Quantum Reservoir Impact. In that role he worked on production optimization of the giant oil fields Akal and Sihil. This work mainly concentrated on reducing the production decline rate of Akal through a re-development and optimization analysis. This lead to an executable development plan that realized a series gas-oil gravity drainage opportunities in Akal north, south and KL blocks that brought on stream incremental production not previously recognized by PEMEX.
- At Royal Dutch Shell Dr. Viamontes held a number of position with increasing responsibility:
- At the Projects and Technology center located in Bangalore, India he was a Senior Reservoir engineer and Lead of the subsurface team to demonstrate 100 MMSTB of new scope for recovery opportunities for the Ekulama field in Port Harcourt Nigeria.
- In Shell Gabon he was the Petroleum Engineer responsible for all engineering facets of the Koula (25,000 STB/D) and Bende (gas field for the Gabon LNG project). He also, shared responsibility for operating the Toucan field (18,000 STB/D) and Gamba/Ivinga field (6,000 STB/D). In this role Dr. Viamontes developed and brought on stream a green field and through a series of re-development and appraisal activities helped extend the life of some of the largest brown fields in Gabon.
- At the Bellaire Technology Center Dr. Viamontes worked as a Petroleum Engineer – Principal Investigator on a number of coded projects with miscible and immiscible flood experiments. This work enabled Shell to improve field recovery and produce from previously technology-locked resources. In addition it was the source of a patented novel displacement process, which Dr. Viamontes is a co author.
Executive Vice President, Chief Technical Officer
Mr. Hill is a 1980 graduate of the University of Oklahoma, where he earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Nuclear Engineering. His 43 years of oil and gas exploration experience has included the following positions:
- Senior Technical Advisor for Halliburton where he was responsible for developing and maintaining petrophysical analysis for fracture stimulation design.
- Numar Product Champion responsible for all aspects related to Magnetic Resonance Logging in the Midcontinent including sales and analysis.
- District Manager with Halliburton responsible for managing logging operations in Pauls Valley, OK, Beaumont, TX, Liberty, TX, and Laurel, MS.
- Director of Training for Gearhart (GO Wireline) responsible for training domestic and international logging engineers.
- Region Engineer for Gearhart responsible for oversight of technical operations related to open-hole logging in the Eastern US (Midcontinent and Northeast US).
Mr. Hill holds two patents related to the oil and gas industry as well having developed several innovative processes related to petrophysics. Mr. Hill is also affiliated with the Society of Petroleum Engineers (SPE), Oklahoma City Geologic Society (OCGS), and American Petroleum Institute (API).
Vice President, Reservoir Characterization
Jeffrey Bayless joined NuTech in 2007 as a Lead Engineer and business development in the NUVIEW business unit where he focused on reservoir modeling and field development planning for numerous Gulf Coast fields. As VP Reservoir Characterization, he is currently responsible for overseeing NUVIEW; NuTech’s reservoir characterization and integrated reservoir modeling business unit.
Mr. Bayless graduated in 1984 from Texas A&M University with a Bachelor of Science degree in Petroleum Engineering, and later earned a Master of Business Administration degree from the University of Houston in 1989. In his 34 plus years in the industry, Mr. Bayless has held numerous positions:
- G&G Consulting Manager with Blueback Reservoir, focusing on reservoir modeling studies throughout Texas and Louisiana, international projects in Colombia and the African West Coast.
- Global Account Technical Manager with Roxar, focusing on business development strategies for IOC and NOC accounts.
- Support and Consulting Manager with Roxar, focusing on customer support, reservoir modeling training and consulting projects throughout North and South America.
- Consulting and Reservoir Engineer positions were held at Scientific Software-Intercomp, Texas Eastern and Marlin Drilling.
Mr. Bayless is affiliated with the Society of Petroleum Engineers (SPE), American Association of Petroleum Geologists (AAPG) and the Houston Geological Society (HGS).
Vice President, Engineering
Corby Goodman joined NuTech in 2005. During his time at NuTech he has assisted in the development of the NUSTIM process, expanded the NUSTIM™ product offerings, lead department operations and trained NUSTIM™ analysts. Mr. Goodman graduated from Kansas State University with a Bachelor of Science degree in Chemical Engineering in 1995. In his career he has accomplished the following:
- Worked as an operations engineer for Halliburton supporting hydraulic fracturing, acidizing, cementing and nitrogen operations for the central region of North America.
- Participated in the design and execution of thousands of completions throughout North America and at international locations around the world.
- Supervised hundreds of hydraulic fracturing treatments for customers throughout North America, the Gulf of Mexico and Angola.
- Lead research and development projects for Chevron that could be used to enhance current completion methods and/or provide new completion techniques in the future.
- Mentored and trained employees at multiple organizations in hydraulic fracture operations, qa/qc procedures, fracture simulations and fracture optimization techniques.
Mr. Goodman’s extensive knowledge of fracture modeling, fracture simulations, completion optimization and fracture injection testing allow him to lead the enhancement of oil and gas production efforts for NuTech’s customers. Mr. Goodman is affiliated with the Society of Petroleum Engineers (SPE).
Petrophysicist, Petrophysical Team
Andrew Klein joined NuTech in 2019. As a petrophysicist, he is responsible for petrophysical model-building, open/cased-hole and MWD log interpretation, and core quality control and integration. He has extensive experience in formation evaluation of conventional/unconventional reservoirs in both clastic and carbonate environments. He holds a BA from University of Texas at Austin and completed extensive graduate work at University of Houston while pursuing a MS in Geophysics.
His previous experience includes:
- Contributed geological expertise in all stages of core analysis, from core processing to advanced formation evaluation, as a geologist for ALS Oil & Gas Laboratory
- Implemented a novel method of seismic attribute analysis for prospect evaluation in a large Gulf Coast play as a geophysicist for Energy & Exploration Partners
- Analyzed drilling data and mud logs for a large, offshore Gulf of Mexico petrophysical database as a petrophysical specialist for Petrophysical Solutions
Mr. Klein is affiliated with the Society of Petrophysicists and Well Log Analysts (SPWLA) and the American Association of Petroleum Geologists (AAPG).
Petrophysical Analyst Associate Manager
Manager, Regional Study Team
Scott Dodson joined NuTech in 2008. As Manager of the Regional Studies Evaluation Team, he is responsible for the development and maintenance of regional scale geological models that incorporate petrophysical, geophysical, depositional, and core analysis information. Mr. Dodson graduated from Ohio University with a Bachelor of Science and Master of Science degree in Geological Sciences.
In his career he has accomplished the following:
- Generated geological models located in more than a dozen major basins, both domestic and international, utilizing Schlumberger’s Petrel and Roxar’s Reservoir Modeling Solutions (RMS) modeling software for petroleum reservoirs.
- Completed regional studies of major unconventional shale plays located in North America including the Wolfcamp, Bone Spring, Spraberry, STACK, SCOOP, Utica, Marcellus, Eagle Ford, Haynesville, and several others.
- Led team-based collaborative assessments of reservoir potential for new venture opportunities in hydrocarbon-bearing plays.
- Incorporated well production records and pressure tests into reservoir models to better understand remaining reserve potential and reservoir connectivity in historically productive fields.
- Generated viable new drill opportunities through advanced geological correlation and mapping strategies.
Mr. Dodson’s extensive knowledge of geological modeling and depositional systems allow him to support asset evaluation efforts of NuTech’s customers. Mr. Dodson is affiliated with the American Association of Petroleum Geologists (AAPG) and the Houston Geological Society (HGS).
Lab Manager, Porolabs
James Greene joined NuTech in 2019. As Manager of the POROLABS business unit, he is responsible for leading laboratory operations and technical advisement of core analysis measurements and application. Mr. Greene graduated from Louisiana State University with dual Bachelor of Science in Petroleum Engineering and Geology in 2015. His previous work experience includes the following:
- Worked as a technical advisor for a global oil & gas laboratory group, where he managed comprehensive testing programs and delivered integrated analyses from a wide range of conventional and unconventional reservoirs.
- Lead research and development projects with industry and academic institutions to develop workflows using high-resolution datasets as a link between core and log scales.
- Asset and supply chain management responsibilities with Eastern Mediterranean and West Africa business units within Noble Energy (now Chevron).
- Geological evaluation of East Texas fields for future development potential with a small exploration and production company.
Mr. Greene has co-authored over 11 technical papers and presentations, including two lead author publications which introduce advanced analytical workflows related to the measurement and application of capillary pressure data towards relative permeability and mechanical property characterization.
Petrophysicist, Regional Study Team
Tony Gregg joined NuTech in 2003. Mr. Gregg, a U.S. Air Force Veteran has performed detailed well log interpretations on over 5,000 wells including data normalizing and editing, rw determination, lithology, voulumetrics, bulk volume irreducible, and permeability. He possesses a wide range of interpretation experience in various basins around the world including unconventional and tight gas resource plays.
In his career he has accomplished the following:
- Developed interpretation models tied to various type of core and auxillary data including but not limited to Core P&P, TOC, XRD, ECS, and NMR.
- Developed and authored interpretation processes and various programming codes using MatLab that has more than doubled workflow efficiency and output.
- Supported drilling and recompletion activities of client companies by providing actionable recommendations through post-well petrophysical analyses.
- Responsible for data acquisition and documentation of petrophysical models in various basins worldwide.
- Developing, mapping, and organizing area study projects as well as area study selection based on well density and spacing, well logs, and production data.
Mr. Gregg is affiliated with the American Association of Petroleum Geologists (AAPG).
Harry Hernandez joined NuTech in 2011 as Petrophysicist. He is a proven performance driven petrophysicist with emphasis in core analysis integration execution, quality control, and expert data analysis. He is skilled in collaborating with geologists and engineers to achieve business objectives. His prime responsibility is to ensure well-log interpretations in conventional and unconventional reservoirs consistently and reliably.
Mr. Hernandez graduated from Universidad de Oriente in Venezuela with a Bachelor of Science in Geological Engineering in 2002. He received a Master of Science in Petroleum Engineering from Heriot Watt University in 2020.
In his career, he has held the following positions:
- Petrophysicist for HPO global, participating on reservoir description, formation damage and geomechanics studies for clients in Colombia and Nigeria.
- Petrophysicist with PDVSA in western Venezuela, focusing on full integrated reservoir characterization, hydrocarbon reserve calculation and field development studies. He planned and executed both conventional and special core analysis, logging and fluid sampling programs.
Mr. Hernandez is affiliated with the Society of Petroleum Engineers (SPE) and Society of Professional Well Log Analysts (SPWLA).
MICP / XRD Analyst I, PoroLabs
Matthew McAllen joined NuTech in 2018 as a lab technician. He is currently the MICP and XRD Analyst I performing X-Ray Diffraction and MICP – Mercury Injection Capillary Pressure measurements to understand how mineralogy and rock texture affect reservoir quality and well log response.
Mr. McAllen holds a Bachelor of Science in Geology from the University of Texas at San Antonio, and a Master of Science in Geology with specialization in Petroleum Geology from the University of Houston and is a member of AAPG.
Geophysical Data Technician, Regional Study Team